JoanHunterHandmade on Artfire!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Coral Corral

For the last few weeks many of the refugees have been protesting Etsy's Corporate Fuckery (ECF) in the admin-created "storque coral article discussion thread" in Etsy's forums.  They put us in there like a bunch of livestock, or mental patients at the start of this whole thing, and if any of us escaped, more thread closures, and "gentle yet firm" shepherding back into the pen ensued.  We took to calling it the Coral Corral.  I've met the most amazing people in that funny farm, and I love them all.  But after about 3 weeks we are all starting to move on to the next stage.  For some of us, that means starting over somewhere new, for others, staying and struggling to cope with the changes taking place there.  We are all saying tearful goodbyes, and here, for posterity, is mine...

I just want to start off by apologizing for losing my temper on the topic of cupcakery earlier today. I've taken some time to reflect on my anger and I have found the potential for growth. That said, I think it is time for me to move on from Etsy, and focus on the future. As all of you know, I have elected to close my shop here and move to another venue. I will take with me all that I have learned from you good people in this experience we have shared together. All of you who have kept this thread going and shared your thoughts, feelings, ideas, plans, dreams, and disappointments have affected me in ways more profound and long-lasting than Etsy Corp ever will, or ever has. I love and respect you all, and I will miss our daily discussions. I really hope you will visit the blog I set up for us so we can stay connected and keep influencing each other. I feel like I have discovered a gold-mine of wonderful people that I never would have met if it weren't for our shared cause. I simply can't express how grateful I am to each and every one of you for your patience, your empathy, your dedication to justice for all in Etsyland, and for all of the laughter, joy, frustration and tears we've shared. The sun is setting over the coral corral, and the campers are saying their goodbyes. To all of you, I wish success, fulfillment, peace, and the respect you deserve from this cockamamie corporation. Thanks for opening my eyes, and opening your hearts. Love, Joan


This would be the time to break into a group version of Carol King's "You've Got A Friend". Sing it with me!!!


When your down and troubled 
And you need a helping hand 
And nothing, whoa nothing is going right. 
Close your eyes and think of me 
And soon I will be there 
To brighten up even your darkest nights. 
You just call out my name, 
And you know whereever I am 
I'll come running, oh yeah baby 
To see you again. 
Winter, spring , summer, or fall, 
All you have to do is call 
And I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah. 
You've got a freind. 
If the sky above you 
Should turn dark and full of clouds 
And that old north wind should begin to blow 
Keep your head together and call my name out loud 
And soon I will be knocking upon your door. 
You just call out my name and you know where ever I am 
I'll come running to see you again. 
Winter, Spring, summer or fall 
All you got to do is call 
And I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah. 
Hey, ain't it good to know that you've got a friend? 
People can be so cold. 
They'll hurt you and desert you. 
Well they'll take your soul if you let them. 
Oh yeah, but don't you let them. 
You just call out my name and you know wherever I am 
I'll come running to see you again. 
Oh babe, don't you know that, 
Winter Spring summer or fall, 
Hey now, all you've got to do is call. 
Lord, I'll be there, yes I will. 
You've got a friend. 
You've got a friend. 
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend. 
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend. 
You've got a friend.

2 comments:

  1. That was beautiful!! I too miss the corral and all the wonderful people that were herded into it :)

    (((HUGS))) and see you on the flip side ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was following the thread after I closed my shop for good and asked for removal of my account...I see they closed it and maybe it is for the better in the long run.

    To all the coral corral choir - you are just good folks ...solid good folks.

    ReplyDelete